Qualifying for TRA Unemployment Benefits

Qualifying for TRA Unemployment Benefits

Losing your job can be a difficult time for many people. However, there are a few government programs out there that help individuals who lose their jobs due to special circumstances. The government program that will be discussed below is called the federal trade readjustment allowance (TRA). This was created as part of the Trade Act of 1874 and adds additional unemployment benefits if the worker meets the requirements.

The first requirement that must be met has less to do with the worker and more with the job. The benefits are offered to those whose employer has been negatively affected by imports and whose employment has been affected due to the impact of the imports. Meaning if your employer was negatively impacted by imports you may qualify for TRA benefits. Second, a group of workers must seek approval to become eligible for the program. If approved the workers file at state funded place like Michigan Works!, although the program is federally funded. Finally the worker has a certain amount of time to file for training, which is 26 weeks from their separation with the company. However, the worker may file a waiver of training at any time after the separation, due to there being no time limit specified for filling a waiver.

If you have questions on whether you qualify for TRA unemployment benefits, it is recommended to contact a local employment law attorney.

More information provided by the state of Michigan. Main image also taken from this page.  https://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia/1628X_329356_7.pdf

Close Menu